Friday 30 November 2012

Analysing the 'Opulence DirecTV ads'


Uploaded earlier in my blog I am going to explore the semiotics and language used in the advert to persuade and excite the viewer.

This is probably one of the most heavily 'symbolised' adverts I have ever watched, think I just made the word symbolised up...
Everything in the advert is trying to put across the perception of a certain life or person. There is art (rich), women (rich), bodyguards (rich rich rich!!), dogs playing poker (crazy rich that things happen that are pretty much impossible), fur (again RICH!) and gold everywhere, and the connotations of gold can lead your mind many places; royalty, wealth, class, beauty, heirarchy, passion, but above all... rich. This straight away stamps the foundation of wealth on the advert, however it's quite important to notice straight away the target audience, this is not for rich people, this is for the middle class who strive to 'live like the rich'. You can tell this from the humour in the advert, the product itself, with a little research it only costs $29.99 a month. Within the script this guy says ' I like the best, but I also like saving the money, so when DirecTV tell me 5 months free for most premium television package, I jump in it' obviously they are appealing and persuading to the middle class of America here, the rich wouldn't jump on an offer for 5 months free television, if they wanted it they'd have bought it months ago. I really like the way the camera shoots in to his face on the 'I jump in it' line, the camera angle is slightly below his eye line, making us 'look up to him' in more ways than one, making him subconsciously appear higher or better than up. He also says the line with a lot of power and no questioning. It's one of the most obvious advertisements in the world, but it works so well, I think this is also due to the fact that he could become a prominent 'character' to DirecTV's adverts because of the Russian accent and 'crazy man' personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment